May 13th marked the official dedication ceremony for the plaque designating All Saints’ Episcopal Church as a site on the Martin County (Fla.) Historic Register. Martin County Commissioner Doug Smith and Historic Preservation Board Member Joette Lorion Rice attended the ceremony. The plaque is affixed to the outside of All Saints’ Church beneath the original plaque commemorating the church’s opening in 1898 and consecration in 1899.
The designation of All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Jensen Beach, Fla., as a Martin County Historic Site resulted from the diligent work of Julie Preast, Historian Joyce Fletcher Menard and Paul Neff, who submitted a 179-page Historic Designation Petition to the Martin County Historic Preservation Board. The Petition noted that All Saints’, which was constructed by Bell & Baker, “is a prime example of the frame, rural Carpenter Gothic style found mostly in the Southern United States during the 19thCentury, inspired by the work of Richard Upjohn.”
All Saints’ not only is the oldest Episcopal church in Martin County, but it also is the oldest community church in the county that has served as a place of worship throughout its entire existence. We are proud of our beautiful, historic church!